I’m sad to report that the last couple of meals chez nous have not been worthy of a post. There was a failed curry. There was a frozen pizza…and then pizza delivery. And then for the last couple of days, there has been Lipton’s soup, as I struggle to fend off a cold.
But this meal redeems me to me. And to my husband. And based on the punches I received to my uterus, baby as well. I guess butter + pasta will do that.
Brown Butter Sage Ravioli with Roasted Vegetables
- olive oil
- 1 package pre-cut butternut squash
- 1 package cremini mushrooms, sliced in half
- 8 leaves fresh sage
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package ravioli (I used root vegetable ravioli from TJ’s)
- splash dry white wine
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- pepper, salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spread the butternut squash evenly in a jelly roll pan, drizzle olive oil, salt and pepper and give the whole thing a toss. Stick in the oven for 20 minutes – use this time to slice up your mushrooms and prep your garlic.
- At the 20 minute mark, add the mushrooms to the pan with the squash, give the mixture a toss, and then stick it back in the oven for another 20 minutes. (This is actually the perfect amount of time to do the rest of the steps below!)
- Start boiling water for the ravioli – add a bit of salt for flavor. Cook the ravioli according to directions; drain and reserve just a splash of the starchy water.
- While water boils, heat a small skillet over medium heat – when hot, add the butter. When the butter starts to turn lightly brown at the top, add the garlic, cook for 30 seconds, and then add the sage. Cook for 1-2 minutes, and then remove from heat. Add a splash of wine, the lemon juice and just a touch of pepper.
- Take your veggies out of the oven. Serve raviolio topped with veggies, and then drizzle the sauce over the top. Don’t forget to garnish with the sage – this is delicious.
HOLY DELICIOUS. How have I never been taken aside before for an explanation of the glories of brown butter sage sauce? Mom, where were you on this one?!