For the last four or so years that we’ve lived together, my husband and I have spent weekend mornings lazing around in bed. Around 10 AM, our bed became think tank HQ for plotting out weekend days and nights. There were big, strategic decisions to be made: where might we want to go eat for dinner? with whom should we try to make plans? what fun things did we want to do?
Now weekend mornings are just a little different. For one: they begin earlier, as the newest member of our household doesn’t understand the concept of sleeping in. For another: it’s a lot less think tank, a lot more operations management. When and where and how are we going to squeeze in naptime and feeding time and cleaning all the things time? For one more: we spend a lot less time planning Saturday night and more time planning Monday night. As in, what can I make for dinner that will be quick and easy and also quick and easy?
The husband came up with the below. Bonus: it’s good hot or cold and even sneaks you some veggies.
Almost Greek Tortellini Salad
- 1 package tortellini
- 1 red onion, chopped
- about 3-4 oz sundried tomatoes, preferably packed in oil
- 1 container cherry tomatoes, cut in half or quartered
- 1 cucumber, peeled and diced
- about 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- a big handful spinach
- obviously optional – olives. I hear some people like these.
- for the dressing:
- olive oil
- red wine or balsamic vinegar
- dash cumin
- salt, pepper
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- dash oregano
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook the tortellini according to the directions; drain. While this gets going, prep all your veggies and put them into a large bowl.
- In a small side bowl, whisk all of the dressing ingredients together. (Note: the cumin adds just a hint of sweet that I really like against the general saltiness of the dish.)
- Add the warm, drained tortellini to the veggie bowl and give it a toss. Add the feta and give it a thorough mix before adding spinach and dressing. Serve warm or cold.
This was deliciously easy, which is a good thing since the pictures didn’t come out (see above, obvi). Which means I’ll get another crack at posting something a little more light-friendly. Also: the fact that you can serve this warm or cold makes it a perfect dish to bring to your new mom friends. Just saying: heating things in the microwave can be a challenge.
3 thoughts on “Almost Greek Tortellini Salad”
Would enjoy eating this every day for all of my meals. Thank you in advance.
Yummy as always—still saving these beauties for a time I decide to tackle the kitchen. I wish I had an excuse not to cook—–raising kids and such, but with our kids gone –why shouldn’t I cook more? No need to reply- haha
I totally feel you on the complete life change you’re going through. Hell I hate having to even catch a 5am flight, you poor things!!
What else are you guys making over there?
Happy to see that you’re doing well, new mommy ❤