Lately, most of the dinners chez nous are a fairly consistent staple of Dairy meets Starch, they have Love Child. This is because it’s easy, because it’s filling, and because I’d like my pre-ice cream meal to be complementary to the main event. Obvi.
Even when the husband might be thinking we could incorporate some more meat or veggies, he’s smart enough to know not to comment. Ever. There are some definite perks to pregnancy.
However. Every once in a while, you do crave the green stuff. Ina here, to the rescue.
Roasted Pears with Blue Cheese & Cranberries
(adapted from Ina Garten)
- 2 ripe pears
- juice from 2 lemons
- crumbled blue cheese
- big handful dried cranberries
- big handful nuts – walnuts, pecans, or almonds
- 1/3 cup apple cider or 1/4 apple cider vinegar
- if using apple cider and not apple cider vinegar, splash balsamic
- big dollop of honey or 3 big tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- arugula (we used Bibb lettuce, but this would definitely be better with the bite from arugula)
- salt, pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Peel the pears and slice in half lengthwise; remove the core. Cut just a small slice off the back – this will keep it steady on the baking pan. Toss with about half the lemon juice and place in a small baking dish, core side up.
- Mix together the blue cheese, nuts, and cranberries in a small bowl and top the pears with the mixture. Mix together the cider, balsamic, honey/sugar and pour over the pears, reserving a bit of the liquid.
- Bake pears for 25-30 minutes & pull from the oven. Make a dressing by whisking together the rest of the lemon juice, the olive oil, and the reserved basting liquid. Serve the pears on top of the arugula with the dressing.
This is delicious. Eat it. Feel healthy. And then, to the ice cream.