If I ate less chicken salad, I’d probably be wealthier. If I walk anywhere near a deli counter, or a sandwich shop, or a brunch menu with chicken salad on the menu, it’s game time. Part of the reason I love going home so much (other than of course seeing my parents, hi M+D) is because my dad always has a container of chicken salad chilling in the fridge. I. Love. Chicken. Salad.
It’s a bit surprising, then, that I’ve never actually made it myself. I was in New York a few weeks ago, eating a chicken salad sandwich on a fresh, delicious sesame seed bagel with my sister-in-law, and she mentioned that sometimes she made chicken salad for herself.
This was an earth-shattering revelation.
For some reason, I have always assumed that magical chicken salad makers just lived at the deli/grocery store/farmer’s market, just waiting for their opportunity to hop me up on too much mayo.
But no. I could make this delicious, addicting, amazingness myself. So I did.
Homemade Chicken Salad
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- for the poaching liquid:
- fresh herbs (I used some thyme)
- 1/2 onion
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2-3 stalks celery, washed and chopped
- 2-3 green onions, chopped
- handful parsley, chopped
- about 1/2 cup mayo
- about 1/2 plain Greek yogurt
- about 2 cups red grapes, sliced
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- salt + pepper to taste
- optional: handful toasted nuts
- Add chicken and all poaching liquid ingredients to a pan and bring to a full boil. Turn down the heat and poach gently for about 10-12 minutes (the chicken should be white all the way through).
- While the chicken cooks, prep your veggies and grapes and place in a large-ish bowl.
- Remove chicken from the poaching liquid when done; discard liquid + contents. Let chicken cool a bit, and then cut into little cubes. Add to the veggies.
- Add mayo, yogurt, lemon, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly and taste – add whatever’s missing.
- Put your delicious, amazing salad between two pieces of toasted bread, a slice of red onion, and a large Romaine leaf. Fall in love.
HOW WAS THIS THE FIRST TIME I MADE THIS!?!?!?!