Because we spent exactly one week bopping about French cafes and chowing down in patisseries, I very badly wanted to call the following recipe “Eggplant Tartine” and get all fancy and French on you. However, since tartines usually involve some sort of buttery, rich, spreadable topping, and more importantly, since Husband actually executed this recipe and would definitely not prefer to be known as the tartine-man, I will settle for calling these “open-faced.” (Note, though, in the picture below that I did bring back a cheesy Paris metro map placemat, much to the Husband’s chagrin.)
You could substitute burrata for some sort of smoky gouda or mozzarella and really amp up the flavor here.
Open-faced Grilled Eggplant and Burrata Toast
- 1 eggplant, sliced about 1/2 inch thick
- olive oil
- salt, pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 ball burrata
- 2-3 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 big handful fresh basil
- handful arugula
- thick sliced toast or bread
- Heat a grill pan over medium heat and spray with a little cooking spray.
- Melt butter and garlic together in a microwave; brush the mixture over the eggplant slices. Season with salt and pepper and grill the egglplant about 3-4 minutes per side. (You can grill your tomatoes, too, for extra points.)
- Meanwhile, toast your bread and brush with any remaining butter/garlic. Place the burrata over the warm bread so that it melts, top with eggplant, tomatoes, basil and a little bit of arugula. Drizzle with olive oil and season as appropriate. Serve with a side salad.
A few reasons you should make these. 1: They’re ridiculously easy (see: Husband made these). 2. They take about 20 minutes, total. 3. They’re delicious. Like, really, really good.
4 thoughts on “Open-faced Grilled Eggplant and Burrata Toast”
I made many of your recipes, thank you!!! I wanted to make the one you posted of pork tenderloin in the crock pot that you then topped with mozzarella and kale for girls night out but cannot find it, would you be so kind as to forward to me?
Love to you and Jeff,
Of course! Xoxo
Hi Varina! I just want you to know that I love your blog and have nominated you for the Creative Blogger Award! Please check out my post http://wp.me/p4Rb3P-158.
Thank you – super kind of you!!