When the Husband and I were forced to move from our last apartment, we decided to make a big leap and move a whole one and a half blocks down, on the same street. We are nothing if not adventurous.
Surprisingly, even this small change of scenery meant we noticed things we had never registered before. For example, the Indian/Pakistani takeout place in the basement next door. It even had an amazing name, involving the word “sacrificial.” Um, OK. Because the first thing either one of us suggests when we get home from a trip is Indian food, we’re in.
Sadly, Sacrificial didn’t live up to our (mental) hype. So when we don’t want to walk the whole five blocks to our normal Indian place (hey, DC is HOT in the summer!), we have to make our own. Fortunately, this dish is so easy no one feels like they’ve sacrificed anything. Recipe adapted from Real Simple.
Grilled Curried Chicken Breast and Peach Salad
- about 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound chicken breasts, rinsed and patted dry
- 2-3 peaches, sliced
- 2-3 scallions, chopped
- olive oil
- salt, pepper
- In a small bowl, mix the yogurt, curry powder, hot sauce and garlic. Set a little bit aside, for use as your sauce later. Stick the rest of the mixture in a ziplock bag, put your chicken breasts in there, and make sure they’re coated thoroughly. Go off on your merry/to work ways, and let marinate for about 8 hours.
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium & coat with a little cooking spray. Toss the sliced peaches with a little salt, pepper and olive oil; grill those about 3-4 minutes. For the last minute or two, add your scallions. Set aside and keep warm (I wrapped mine in aluminum).
- Remove the chicken from its marinade and add to to the grill, cooking about 4-5 minutes per side, or until done.
- Assemble your salad: arugula, avocado, chicken, peaches, & scallions. Top with a little bit of reserved sauce.
I like to make a grilled peach, chicken and goat cheese salad that’s become a staple around here on those summer nights that we realize that we’ve eaten mostly ice cream, chocolate covered pretzels, and/or cheeseburgers. This is a nice little update that delivers those same healthy-reset vibes, so you can get back to eating ice cream, chocolate covered pretzels, and/or cheeseburgers.
2 thoughts on “Grilled Curried Chicken Breast and Peach Salad”
The place must have read ‘Halal’ if I am not wrong.
Don’t you hate it when interestingly-named places don’t live up to their name?
Glad you guys found such an easy and delcious workaround!
Bookmarking this for later, heehee