There’s nothing I don’t love about Mexican food.
Onions? Check. Cilantro? Check. Heat? Check. Crispy, fried corn chips? Check. Melted, delicious dairy? Yes, please. Something you can make with veggies or with meat, so Husband doesn’t complain about wasting away? YUP.
Because we tend to have Mexican food fairly often, I keep a lookout for interesting twists. This quick-pickling innovation, from Cooking Light, really is as good (and as quick) as it sounds. Reduce the amount of jalapeño if heat isn’t your thing. But seriously, make these.
Ground Turkey Tostadas with Pickled Onions and Jalapeño
- 1 thinly sliced red onion, divided
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
- olive oil
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- large handful chili powder
- about half handful ground cumin
- 2-3 cloves minced garlic
- small handful smoked paprika
- small handful garlic salt
- handful pepper
- handful crushed red peppers
- corn tostadas
- to serve:
- sour cream, cilantro, cheese, avocado
- Combine 1/2 of your sliced onion, vinegar, water, a little bit of sugar, about 1/4 teaspoon salt, and the jalapeño in a small saucepan over high heat. Bring to a simmer and cook for a minute. Remove from heat and place to the side while you make the rest of your meal.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil and add the other half of the onion, along with bell pepper. Cook down about 5 minutes, and then add ground turkey and garlic. Break the turkey up and add all of the spices. Cook 5-7 minutes, or until browned.
- Drain pickled veggie mixture. Top tostadas evenly with the ground turkey, pickled onions and jalapeños, a bit of sour cream, avocado, cilantro – whatever makes your heart sing.
While lamenting the effectiveness of the tostada as a food delivery system, Husband agrees: we should pickle more vegetables, more often.
3 thoughts on “Ground Turkey Tostadas with Pickled Onions and Jalapeño”
I am OBSESSED with pickled onions right now!! Thanks for this super quick way to make them! 🙂
Bookmarking this one.
Happy weekend lady love 🙂