It’s hard to believe, but a year ago, Husband and I made it official. To celebrate, we did exactly what we did for our wedding: we went to a wedding in Boston (this time, my dear friend E’s), we spent the night in Salem, where we got married, and now, we’re spending a few days on the Cape, with my parents. Because who doesn’t like to honeymoon with their parents?!
One of the best parts: we’re back to eating like kings again (thanks, Mom!). For example, this star recipe – fancy enough to serve any company, and simple enough to wrap your head around the first time you make it. Recipe inspired by Smitten Kitchen, tweaked by my mom and sister.
Roast Chicken with Grapes, Olives & Rosemary
- 2-3 pounds chicken parts – with skin and bones, for flavor (I like the breasts the best, but if you’re normal, thighs, drumsticks, etc.)
- salt & pepper
- olive oil
- 5 cups red seedless grapes
- 1/2 to 1 cup pitted kalamata olives (use a good jarred kind)
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- about 1 cup dry white wine
- about a cup chicken broth
- a few sprigs fresh rosemary
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in ovenproof pot over medium high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper & then brown it, skin side down first. Make sure it is nice and brown before turning it over & make sure not to crowd the pan (work in two batches if your pot isn’t large enough).
- Add grapes, olive and shallots to the pot, all around the chicken. Place in the oven and roast for about 30 minutes, until the chicken has cooked through. After 20 minutes, add the wine and chicken broth, and make the chicken nice and crispy, by turning on the broiler for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and the grapes/olives from the pot and place on a serving platter. Put the pot on the stove again, add the rosemary sprigs, and bring liquid to a boil, scraping up any delicious bottom bits – just 2 -3 minutes more.
- Serve with crispy bread and a side salad.
I don’t even like olives, and this is a keeper. (To my chagrin, you need them for the salty/briny flavors.) This is great news for the Husband, who got all of my olives. And if you can serve this with (year-old) wedding cake for dessert, you’re truly winning at life.
8 thoughts on “Roast Chicken with Grapes, Olives & Rosemary”
Congratulations to both of you🎂💕🎉🎊
I love this! Congrats xxx
Matzel to both of yous 😊😊
Every time you write about Boston, & I read about it, Boston becomes much more beautiful. So thank you xoxoxoxo
Aww thanks. I am just thankful for all the weddings that are bringing me home this summer!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Enjoy your parent-moon!! I honestly would love nothing more than a trip with my husband & parents, but that’s cause I’m a 4 year old. Want this chicken in my mouth.
My dad made us lobster and grilled corn last night. So yea, I’m right there with you!
yum and congrats
Thank you, Tracey!
LikeLiked by 1 person