Even though I am a terrible food blogger and have not cooked one thing for approximately two weeks now (something both my wallet and my waistband are complaining about), my offering to the interwebs today is this simple, delicious pizza the Husband made me over two weeks ago. Better late than never, right?
Inspired by Smitten Kitchen, tweaked Chez Nous.
Shaved Asparagus Pizza
- 1/2 bunch asparagus
- olive oil
- salt, pepper, crushed reds
- 1 (prepared) pizza dough – we used Trader Joe’s! – plus a little bit of flour for rolling the dough
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan and/or Gruyere
- about a cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 5-6 small balls fresh Mozzarella, cut in half
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
- “Shave” the asparagus by holding by their (untrimmed) ends against a flat cutting board and running a sharp vegetable peeler across the spear. Repeat until you have a nice little pile of asparagus shavings, and then toss them in a small bowl with olive oil, and a pinch each of salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper.
- Roll out the pizza dough on a light floured surface; sprinkle a bit of the flour on the bottom of your baking sheet (or pizza stone, if you’re fancy) and then transfer the dough to the sheet. Spread a mixture of the cheeses over the surface, top with asparagus and with cherry tomatoes. Drizzle with a little olive oil if you like, and then pop the pizza in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until edges are browned and the cheese is bubbly.
- Top with scallions – the more the merrier – and if you like, fresh herbs, arugula, a poached, egg, whatever your heart desires.
This is so simple, and yet, so good. It even feels like it’s good FOR you (which it might be, had we not smothered it in cheese). It’s sort of like the scallion situation I described above: the more cheese, the merrier. Obvi.