So. It’s Friday and I still haven’t posted my menu plan for the week. This is because March is #crazypants and there IS no menu plan. I’ve been eating cereal for dinner.
March is regularly the month where work becomes a little more insane than usual, and cooking/exercising/sleeping/being a nice person (sometimes, I do try to be one!) goes by the wayside. Planning, schmanning.
And then yesterday, we had a glorious snow day, and I scrounged around in the pantry and came out with this heaping bowl of comfort – inspired by Cooking Light.
Cheesy Polenta & Mushroom Chickpea Medley
- olive oil
- 2 cartons mushrooms, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- leaves from about 10 fresh thyme sprigs
- about 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 tablespoons or so balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup veggie or chicken stock
- salt, pepper, crushed reds
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 box instant polenta and…
- 4 1/2 cups water
- blue cheese
- a little pat butter
- salt, pepper
- about a cup of parmesan
- topping: parsley (note: this would probably be heavenly tossed with a little arugula, which I did not have on hand)
- In a large, deep skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add mushrooms, onion and thyme; cook down about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook an additional 3-4 minutes. Add white wine and vinegar, cook down a few minutes. Add broth and season with salt and pepper. Add chickpeas, bring the whole thing to a boil, reduce heat and simmer.
- For the polenta, bring your water to a roiling boil. Add the polenta slowly – whisk swiftly so it doesn’t clump! Remove from heat after it thickens and add your cheese. I added the blue cheese cream from the steaks we had for Valentine’s Day as well as a hefty about of parmesan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the polenta at the bottom of a bowl, top with the mushroom mixture, a little bit of parmesan and the parsley.
This is basically just comfort food in one bowl. March: bring it on.
3 thoughts on “Cheesy Polenta & Mushroom Chickpea Medley”
This is really interesting
I want a great big bowl of this cheesy goodness now please#ImHungry
i’m excited for lunch today, let me tell you!