It is either a mark of supreme laziness or supreme awesomeness that with one 35 minute rotation through my oven last night, we now have the basis for a week’s worth of meals sitting pretty in our refrigerator.
Given that I was able to spend Sunday brunching with the Hubs, imbibing with our friends, and snoozing/alternately chowing down on cheese through the Oscars, I think we can all agree that supreme awesomeness is more likely. Bonus: our grocery bill was kind to us this week, too.
Roasted Vegetable & Goat Cheese Salad
- assorted root vegetables, peeled & diced. Note: you can use any variety you like (obviously). This is what we roasted here at home:
- 3 parsnips
- 4 carrots
- 1 sweet potato
- 3 pounds or so butternut squash
- 1 bulb fennel (quartered, not diced)
- 1 red onion (quartered, not diced)
- 1 bag baby spinach
- dried cranberries
- crumbled goat cheese
- homemade dressing (or any dressing you like)
- optional: nuts, prosciutto, etc.
(Do we even need directions?)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Peel, dice and appropriately chop your vegetables and scatter in large baking dishes. Toss in olive oil, salt and pepper; feel free to use your favorite spices, as well. Roast for about 35 minutes.
- As the veggies come out of the oven, assemble your salad – the warmth of the vegetables will slightly melt the goat cheese, creating a delicious creaminess, and lightly wilt the spinach. Spoon a little dressing over the salad and serve immediately. Preferably with some cheese + charcuterie.
The Husband was highly skeptical of a “salad” for dinner. I sweetened the deal with an accompanying cheese board, and we both went to bed with full & happy stomaches. I just wish that bedtime had happened a little earlier…too much Oscars!