I love Valentine’s Day. Love, love, love it. It is all of my favorite things, combined in one beautiful day. Chocolate, cards (ok, I know people like to get down on Hallmark holidays, but honestly, who doesn’t looooove browsing the Paper Source?!), flowers, food, and of course, my husband.
Despite the fact that we are technically newlyweds, this Saturday marked our ninth February 14th together. And it was the best one yet, planned entirely by him, & capped off by this ridiculous meal, also prepared by him (with a little help from Ina).
Valentine’s Day Steaks with Blue Cheese Cream Sauce
for the steaks
- 2 8oz filet mignon steaks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
for the sauce
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2-4 oz roquefort, blue, gorgonzola or carambiola cheese, crumbled
- salt & pepper
- chopped scallions or chives
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees; heat a large oven proof skillet over high heat.
- Pat dry the filets with paper towels. Brush a little bit of oil over them and season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Start making your sauce by pouring the cream into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and then simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cream is reduced by half.
- Add the steaks to the hot pan and sear evenly on all sides, about 2 minutes per side. Top each steak with a pat of butter and place the pan in the oven. Cook for about 10 minutes. Remove, cover tightly with foil and allow to rest.
- Remove the cream from the heat,a dd the cheese and stir until melted. Season with salt and pepper, add scallions or chives.
- Serve steaks topped with the sauce…and if you’re lucky, like I was, with a side of sauteed mushrooms, prosciutto-wrapped asparagus, and a good bottle of red wine.
Honey, you’re the man.