I officially became old about three or four Christmases ago, when I received an immersion blender. When you open a carefully wrapped present and you’re excited to see Cuisinart peeking out at you, you know it’s all downhill from there.
On the positive side, if you own an immersion blender, you can make lots of delicious soups. Which in my opinion, almost outweighs the fact that I now wear sneakers when I walk to work, knee braces when I run, and ear plugs when I go to the gym (that music is so LOUD!).
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- olive oil
- 1-2 pounds diced & cubed butternut squash
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and roughly chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- fresh sage (about 8-10 leaves)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- about 3-4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy or sour cream
- optional toppings: scallions, sour cream, pomegranate seeds, pumpkin seeds
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. On a large baking pan, toss the squash with some olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast for about 35-40 minutes. Midway through the roasting, take the squash out and give them another quick toss before sticking them back in the oven.
- In a Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat and add the apple, onion and sage. Cook these down gently, about 10 minutes. Add a dash of apple cider vinegar and cook off before removing the mixture from the heat.
- When the squash is done roasting, add to the Dutch oven, pour the broth over the mixture and bring to a boil. After it boils, reduce heat, cover and simmer 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and blend using an immersion blender (or in a food processor or regular blender; just be careful to do it in batches). Add the cream or sour cream and mix thoroughly. Serve with your choice of topping – I love this with a little addition of sour cream.
Note: You can certainly make this healthier (and/or vegan) by swapping the butter for olive oil and using milk instead of cream or even coconut/almond/soy milk. I’ll stick with the butter and cream, myself.
This soup has been a staple in our house for a while now and was inspired by my very first cookbook, which my mom bought for me before I ever owned a pot, much less an immersion blender, and way before I even thought to judge the people walking to work in sneakers, because they were just so OLD. We’ve come full circle here. Also, the Husband pronounced this particular version (there are so many!) the best he’s had. That’s saying something – we’ve eaten this soup A LOT, so I’m bringing it to the party.
21 thoughts on “Roasted Butternut Squash Soup”
Haha, thank you for the laugh ! I know what you mean about being able to tell when you’re “old.” It’s all about kitchen toys and other things that you never would have cared about when “young.” And also this soup is fabulous! Thank you for bringing to the party this week!
thanks so much, Sue – I think it’s ok to get excited about kitchen gear, right? I think I’m going to draw the line at vacuum cleaners, though. If the Hubs ever comes home with one of those as a present, we may have an issue.
exactly. Or an iron or something.
I can’t believe this hadn’t been posted yet!
Varina, that did make me laugh especially the bit about the earplugs in the gym. Don’t think I could tolerate a club anymore! As I found myself scouring the internet for pretty plates the other day, I wondered how I went from shoes to food shopping and plates without even noticing! The soup sounds delicious with the apple in it by the way! Happy Fiesta Friday!
oooh! you’ve just opened a whole new world for me! PLATES as presents! Genius, Selma!
Haha! Don’t even look at eBay – you won’t get out alive!
Oh boy – that’s another thing- I have NO idea how eBay works!
Gorgeous looking soup. Lovely Recipe.
Mojisola, thanks for stopping by and as always, for your lovely words!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Lol, I guess I am old too, I get so excited when I get a kitchen gadget. You put it to very good use making this delicious soup.
There’s kitchen gadgets, and then there’s earplugs at the gym…new levels I think b
Haha, you made laugh but also squirm in my seat. I guess I am old too. Is it only the immersion blender or any kitchen gadget which certifies your age. Because, I have been receiving a lot of kitchen gadgets and crockery as gifts 😦 OMG!!! I need that heart warming soup and I need to send a few urgent mails to my near and dear ones. My wedding anniversary is coming close ………
Oh no! No squirming! It happens to all of us! We should just own it and be proud…
LikeLiked by 1 person
☺Haha. I thought there were still some years left
Haha I know what you mean, everything on my christmas list was kitchen related – but hey, as long as we’re happy!
This soup looks so yummy!
I know – between the gadgets and the cookbooks…
LikeLiked by 1 person