That moment when you’ve come back from a trip and it’s freezing and the idea of putting on your coat and going to the grocery store and lugging those groceries home and just, no, no, you just can’t? That’s the moment for this soup, inspired by my fridge…and the Kitchn. Every single ingredient was already in my fridge or my pantry- and is likely in yours, too. And if not? Just substitute in the veggies that are.
Red Lentil Soup with Kale and Spinach
- olive oil
- 2-3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2-3 ribs celery, diced
- optional: any other leftover vegetables you might have laying about – I threw in some yellow bell pepper, which was lovely
- 1 onion, diced
- salt, pepper & crushed reds (you know, the essentials)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- about a cup red lentils, rinsed and picked
- about 4-6 cups broth and/or water, if you don’t have broth…more or less depending on how “soupy” you like your soup
- 2-3 dried bay leaves
- dash cumin
- large handful kale
- large handful spinach
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- optional toppings: Greek yogurt, cilantro, parsley, etc.
- Heat some olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery, & onions, add a good pinch of salt, a dash of pepper & crushed reds, and cook gently – about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cook for a minute or two, then add the lentils, give them a quick toss with the veggies, and add the broth, bay leaf, and a dash of cumin.
- Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce the heat. Simmer with the cover on, about 12 minutes.
- Add the kale and spinach, stir through, and then cover and simmer another 8-10 minutes.
- Removing the soup from the heat, add the lemon juice, ladle into bowls and serve with your desired toppings.
So healthy, so wallet friendly, so quick and easy. What’s not to love?
8 thoughts on “Red Lentil Soup with Kale and Spinach”
I want to crawl into a bowl of this. So warm & inviting! Love it.
…and after a few bowls, you just want to crawl into bed. (by 10pm, of course!)
I like that. Inspired by fridge. Lovely recipe.
usually my fridge just inspires me to order takeout, so this was big!
I could so use this right now!!
LikeLiked by 1 person
I know exactly what you mean. My version is usually a red lentil dahl – even better when I’m not too lazy to make some quite flat breads. Yum!
I shall. 😄