A few days ago, my (new) sister-in-law sent me the below recipe, from Damn Delicious. On my continued quest to empty our refrigerator and still cook healthfully before we leave this weekend, I decided last night was the perfect time to give it a try. Almost everything in here comes straight from the pantry – and the best part: it all cooks in one pan! (I think the Husband, on clean-up duty, appreciated that.)
Mexican-style Quinoa With Corn and Black Beans
- olive oil
- 3-4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno (I didn’t have on hand, so I used a can of green chilis and of course, some crushed red pepper)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup chicken or veggie broth
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 14.5 oz can corn, drained and rinse
- a big handful of chili powder
- a good dash of cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- juice from 1 lime
- toppings: cilantro, avocado, cilantro, grated cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the minced garlic, the crushed red peppers (if you’re using them). Also add your other “heat” factors – jalapenos, chilis, poblano pepper.
- Stir in quinoa, broth, beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat, cover and simmer about 20-25 minutes, or until the quinoa is cooked through.
- Remove from heat, stir in lime juice, and serve with your choice of toppings.
This was good, if not knock-your-socks-off. Fresh ingredients – fresh jalapenos, fresh corn, fresh tomatoes – would really bring this up a notch. And I’m not sure how I didn’t notice the lack of onion in the ingredient list – I’ve never met a recipe to which the addition of onion didn’t make it better! Overall, though, this was quick and easy, a good way to use up the leftover ginger and cilantro sour cream mix from the other night, and it provided us with some great leftovers for lunch. I might try this again in the future with more of a Mediterranean twist – I’m picturing garbanzo beans, sundried tomatoes, onions, garlic, tahini – tossed with fresh parsley and cucumbers? Maybe the next time we need to clean out the pantry.